Hello,

As a newcomer to development who is looking for a way to get involved in
one project or the other, I thought I would share my impressions.

The LibreOffice website and development materials seem friendlier to
newcomers. It is easier to navigate and find simple instructions for how to
get the code, set up a development environment, or contribute in other
ways. I use a Mac, and almost right away I found a detailed set of
instructions that was (relatively) current for how to build LO for the
first time on my machine.

The AOO website is confusing and disorganized for people approaching it for
the first time and some of the information is outdated. I still haven't
found simple instructions for how to build on a Mac. I have found a set of
instructions but they are confusing, appear to be outdated, and suggest
that I need to install older Xcode, etc., without any suggestions or
resources on how to do it, if it is really necessary, etc.

I haven't given up on AOO, and part of me wants to figure out how to do it
and then write the instructions clearly for the next person who comes
along, but you can understand how a person who is given two opportunities
is tempted to choose the one that is easier to get started on (the hard
work comes later - entry should be easy) and more clearly structured.

Just my two cents.