Hello Matthias!

I thought about this a little. I think to mix up both behaviours is not simple anymore for users. I dislike the implicity of the approach. For a new user it is not transperent that OpenOffice will take the recent document into account.
I think we should stick with a transparent approach.

what I could imagine would be a virtual folder Recent documents, that would contain a list with all entries from recent document List. You can work with this folder and search as you are used to. However that is then not part of the recent Document list rework anymore, but an overhaul of the Open Item, where we also have to think about cloud working as you have pointed out.
So I would not like to mix both topics, even if they are related.

All the best.
Peter