> On 2/14/2017 10:40 PM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:p...@acm.org]
>>
>>> I'm sure our documentation needs work, and there is someone with
>>> writing, editing, and copyediting skills hoping to help. The
>>> doc@ list
>>> seems to be dead, except for one message posted this year.
>>>
>>> What would be the best way to get started on improving our website or
>>> documentation?
>>
>> I think the easiest way is to use the wiki and coordinate the work.
>> Start here:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
>>
>> Previously, much was coordinated by odf-autors:
>> http://www.odfauthors.org/
>>
>> At the moment, I do not know how to create an account in the Wiki,
>> _maybe someone else can help_?

[knmc]
Creating of mwiki accounts must be done by an admin or someone with syop
privileges. Self registration was turned off 4+ years ago as an
anti-spam measure. To have an mwiki account created send an email to
dev@ with your preferred user name and  you will me notified by email
when the account has been created.
{/knmc]

>> Editing the web pages is done with cms, you have to have an account,
>> which you get when you are committer:
[knmc]
The cms can also be used by non-committers to edit the pages but they
must be reviewed and committed by a committer. For more information see
the excellent YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvg1pfHLhE
[/knmc]

>> The German language documentation is _actively_ maintained by the team
>> of the ProOO-Box, see:
>> http://prooo-box.org/live/seiten/dokumentation.html
>> (see also the site: https://www.openoffice.org/de/doc/index.html but
>> the documents there are not up-to-date)
>
> Maybe one place to start on the English documentation would be to pick
> up German changes, machine translate, and then polish the result, if the
> licensing permits?
[knmc]
I do not read German, but from the looks of the ProOO-Box page above, it
appears that the documentation is based on the work of the OOoAuthors
Group and as such would most likely be under the CC-BY license.
[/knmc]

>> Perhaps one can say more precisely, documentation is not my particular
>> workspace.
>
> I think the real problem is that currently documentation is not in
> anybody's workspace. We have at least one volunteer who is interested,
> but needs help getting started.
[knmc]
The real problem is that to date we have not had contributors with
detailed knowledge of technical writing to act as mentors to new
volunteers and to do detailed copy editing to produce professional
documentation. I beat my head against this brick wall for 4 years and my
considered opinion is that unless this can be corrected good user
documentation will continue to be a difficult hurdle to overcome.
[/knmc]

Regards
Keith