Le 20/05/2017 à 18:07, Raphael Bircher a écrit :
But companies don't com just to put money in, they want something back
(normally). SUN and IBM was a big exception. The point is, we are not
attractive for Companies at the moment. There is no room to make money. We
should start getting attractive for companies.

The only one I would see is Canonical. But i still don't understand why they
chose LibO.
What other company would invest money in a MS Office competitor???
In addition to the investment in the development (meaning manpower cost but
also the time needed to get the equivalent features they already have in MS
Office), there would also be the training of the users, the migration of the
existing tools and files (especially macros) and the problem of the format
interoperability with the people this company deals with.
That's too much for companies to think about it IMHO. Or perhaps Google but
what for?

Is there any company that invests substantially in LibO BTW (just a question, I
really don't know)?
When I see all the migrations (mostly to LibO because it's much more dynamic
and they are good at marketing their project), I just see bodies (often
administrations) who want to cut costs but without major investment, they just
take it because it serves their cause but I doubt there is any will to go
further for them (I mean dedicate manpower to help the project).

I thought when OOo was given to Apache that the licensing would give interest
to the project for companies but it did not happen at all. Less restrictive
licensing attracts most of the devs. This is part of the world evolution today
I guess: people want more free sharing, or at least want to avoid that their
code can be used for commercial when they give it for free.

So I'm not very optimistic.
Hopefully someone has brighter clues.

Hagar