It's a very good point Peter. Diversity in the office software space is good.
And you're right; People aren't going to stop using AOO if the PMC decided to
stop releasing new versions. Please note to others I'm not some TDF/LO stooge.
I actually use MS Office for work and OnlyOffice for personal files (I have 3
computers I actually write on with different OS's and document
compatibility/sync is important.) I do read TDF's planet and AOO's dev list
because I started in 2013/14 when The Register did an article and I've found it
interesting to see both projects develop (weird idiosyncrasy to check these
really when it has nothing to do with my life). I have found TDF to be a more
sophisticated organization and as I stated in my views I see it for the reasons
I listed, based on what I've read. They literally have staff to nurture
volunteers, and strategically I think they're working hard on making a FOSS
alternative that works economically (To Jorg: I don't see why having indirect
company control of a foundation is bad if there's ample representation by
governments on the foundation as well. Never seen a foundation that wasn't
under the thumb of something powerful. If it was just one company or a
for-profit ogliopoly then I would agree. But also that's an
ethical/philosophical position of having a blind eye to evil to get to where
you want to be (which IMO is an office suite that is treated like a public good
for businesses/people, like the internet). That doesn't mean I think LO is the
best office suite (again, I think OnlyOffice will take the FOSS crown because
they're moving faster in the direction that the connected user wants. Too much
baggage on the LO side. (Seriously, who is using Base? How many actually use
Math? Poor allocation of resources IMO.) But that's just me!) In my time
watching I've become concerned at the state of the AOO project. Not because I
want to see it fail, but I help older people with their computers from time to
time and I see how little they know and how gullible they are to scams. The
state of security on AOO concerns me and I hope you passionate people can get
security releases out soon. But you raise a very good point I did not consider;
Even if AOO stopped, millions of people would not stop using the software. It's
definitely more pervasive of a brand than any of the other FOSS suites. So yes,
you're right and you've changed my perspective a bit; the mature answer would
be to continue to make bug fixes.

I wish you and the AOO team well!

P.S. - I think people are responsible for their actions, but I don't think this
applies for technology (yet). In the last 30 years we went from DOS to Smart
Phones. No one can keep up. There's a lot of misplaced trust right now in the
tech world.