On 06.06.11 16:35, tora - Takamichi Akiyama wrote:
> Has anyone tried refactoring OUString?
>
>   - It converts iso-8859-1 letters ranging 0x00-0x7f into UCS2 even it is not
> necessary.
>   - It requires malloc(), realloc(), and free() or their equivalents.
>   - It prevents debugging efforts because of sal_Unicode buffer[1].
>   - It mixtures different purposes: passing/returning parameters and
> long-lasting data.
>   - and else...

hi Tora,

refactoring OUString has to be done carefully because it is a central part
of the URE API/ABI and those must be compatible.

a number of people here have come to the conclusion that it would be an
improvement to use ::rtl::OString with UTF8 encoding as the standard
string type, but unfortunately this would be an enormous effort to change,
and it would mean breaking the backward compatibility of the C++ UNO
binding, so it was never likely to actually happen.

so far we haven't even got rid of the tools strings... sigh.

regards,
 michael

--
"One of [the Middle Ages'] characteristics was that 'reasoning by analogy'
 was rampant; another characteristic was almost total intellectual stag-