Hi Igor,

On 15.07.2011 02:38, Igor Belogorodsky wrote:

> There are some question I'd like to ask
>
> 1. It's been announced that OpenOffice project was donated to Apache
> Software Foundation as incubator project.
> what does it exactly mean?  will there be a new website and they said
> that they'll be moving the source code somewhere on the Apache side.
> does this mean there will be a new way of accessing the openoffice.org?

Two questions, two answers:

Yes.
Yes.

> 2.  I'm a seasonal programmer and I'd like to contribute.  The
> documentation for getting the source and start programming is too much
> confusing.
> There are multiple applications with little documentation or too much
> written and nothing to the point.
> First of all, I have Windows system and don't have any other choice.
> Second, the documentation is written in genetic format, of variety of
> platforms at the same time and is very confusing.

Are you referring to

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide

I don't think that this documentation is too much or "not to the point".
But I would be interested to see where it is can be improved.

> What I would like to see is something straight to the point: a. this is
> Windows, this is how you do it.  b. this is Linix, this is how you do it
> etc.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide

IMHO is exactly this.

> 3. I've installed the free software necessary to access the code and
> compile, debug etc.  I is very difficult to configure.  A lot of
> different pices working together.
>  I downloaded MinGW, Mercurial, some other things.  I don't know what to
> do with it.  I spend hours just to figure something out.  I don't think
> it's efficient enough.

You don't need mingw, you should use Visual Studio. There is a free
version (free as in "free beer"). The mingw build indeed is very slow
and complicated.

> 4. anyway, what's happening to the project (question 1 again)
> I'd like to see better wiki and clearer documentation and better
> organized.  Somebody has to do it.

If you want to get better documentation, you are welcome to help.
Please send suggestions for improvement. IMHO using the mailing list
ooo-...@incubator.apache.org for this would be better, but we can do it
here also if you prefer that.

Best regards,
Mathias