Greg,

I've been following the mailing list as you point and I just wanted to clarify
the situation the project is now.

Referring to the road map, I was trying to put on the table the main goal of
the project as JSF 2.0 and other projects in the same Apache are taking
advantage of the Shale ideas and concepts.

Although PMC defines project 'leaders' everybody knows that with the Craig
McClanahan's leave the project has decreased its activity. With no project
leader it will be difficult to continue giving support and evolving.

Thanks.

Esteve

On Feb 6, 2008 1:21 PM, linux.eavilesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think that the main reason why is the fact that there is not a well
> defined road map now for the project and many of as have bitten to use
> Shale in front of other frameworks.

Well, we do sort of have a roadmap (or at least a tool for creating one):

https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SHALE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

As you can see we're pretty close to a release. All that remains is
some people to complete the few remaining 1.0.5 tickets and do the
release work.

> · Define the project team organization,  mainly the project leader  and
> the development team.

The Shale PMC is responsible for these kinds of decisions. Apache
projects don't have a single "leader". Rather, they are led by the
people who do the work - namely the PMC. The best way to get involved
is continued participation in the mailing lists (a similar discussion
is happening on the dev list so you should sign up for that as well)
and adding some patches to the Jira tickets.

> · Determine the release of the stable version (date and who will lead it)

I think 1.0.5 could easily become a stable (GA) version if we can get
it out the door. Since the work is done by volunteers we don't have
dates for the releases. It will happen when someone is motivated
enough and has time to do it.

> · Analyze each module and decide which must eliminated and which is
> worth keeping alive

Search the archives for info on this. Some discussion along that line
has already taken place. For example, we have decided to discontinue
support for Shale-Tiles in favor of the MyFaces Tomahawk Tiles 2 view
handler.  Other things were discussed as well but no firm decisions
were made.

There seems to be a lot of interest in seeing Shale move forward. I
hope some of that interest will generate new activity.
Greg

--- Begin Message ---
On Feb 6, 2008 1:21 PM, linux.eavilesa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think that the main reason why is the fact that there is not a well
> defined road map now for the project and many of as have bitten to use
> Shale in front of other frameworks.

Well, we do sort of have a roadmap (or at least a tool for creating one):

https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/SHALE?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel

As you can see we're pretty close to a release. All that remains is
some people to complete the few remaining 1.0.5 tickets and do the
release work.

> · Define the project team organization,  mainly the project leader  and
> the development team.

The Shale PMC is responsible for these kinds of decisions. Apache
projects don't have a single "leader". Rather, they are led by the
people who do the work - namely the PMC. The best way to get involved
is continued participation in the mailing lists (a similar discussion
is happening on the dev list so you should sign up for that as well)
and adding some patches to the Jira tickets.

> · Determine the release of the stable version (date and who will lead it)

I think 1.0.5 could easily become a stable (GA) version if we can get
it out the door. Since the work is done by volunteers we don't have
dates for the releases. It will happen when someone is motivated
enough and has time to do it.

> · Analyze each module and decide which must eliminated and which is
> worth keeping alive

Search the archives for info on this. Some discussion along that line
has already taken place. For example, we have decided to discontinue
support for Shale-Tiles in favor of the MyFaces Tomahawk Tiles 2 view
handler.  Other things were discussed as well but no firm decisions
were made.

There seems to be a lot of interest in seeing Shale move forward. I
hope some of that interest will generate new activity.
Greg

--- End Message ---