On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Greg Reddin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Kito Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > That's fine, but I don't really see _anyone_ driving releases :-). What's
> > the problem with letting Shale Test move somewhere else?

> > The problem, though, is that Shale Test is part of a project that has
> > stagnated. So, even if Shale Test moves forward, it's difficult to get
> > traction if the whole project is perceived as stale. Do you see what I'm
> > saying?
>
> If there are so many people out there who want to help move Shale Test
> forward, then we would love for them to step up and start
> contributing. Look at it this way: I use Shale in at least one project
> at work, so I have a vested interest in it continuing to work. Now a
> whole bunch of people from Project Foo think Shale needs to move
> forward and that it can move forward better over at Project Foo.
>
> But I've never seen code from the folks at Project Foo. I don't know
> their attitudes or development styles. I don't know how they work with
> others. I don't know if they will release it under a license I am
> comfortable with. How can I agree in good faith to just hand over the
> management of Shale to Project Foo when I don't know these things?
>
> We are commissioned by the ASF to manage the Shale project. You could
> make a decent argument that we have not done a very good job of
> managing the project. But we cannot recommend to the ASF in good faith
> that the best direction for the project is to send it to somebody else
> who we don't know.
>
> So that brings us back to this: If people think Shale Test needs to
> move forward then I would cordially and sincerely invite them to come
> join the dev list and start submitting patches. Point me to the
> patches that have not been responded to. Point me to the questions and
> requests that are not being answered. When I see that I can begin to
> give credibility to your argument that Shale would be better managed
> elsewhere.
>
> Just so I am clear: the motive of this post is not to be dramatic or
> troll or anything like that. I want to see Shale move forward too. If
> the best thing is for it to move elsewhere, then I will be the first
> to vote for that. But I can't trust who I don't know. Send those folks
> over here and let's engage in some discussion and get some stuff done.

Ok. I'll certainly ping Stan and company. But I think my sentiment is valid
even if we just move it to MyFaces. That, to me, would make plenty of sense
because plenty of the MyFaces projects use it.

--
Kito D. Mann -- Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://twitter.com/kito99

* Sign up for the JSF Central newsletter!
http://oi.vresp.com/?fid=ac048d0e17 *