On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms> wrote:
> I hope you agree that this synchronization is sufficient for the facet
> initialization and reading of facet data.

I have reduced the number of reported race conditions in
22.locale.numpunct.mt from 12440:

http://s247136804.onlinehome.us/stdcxx-1056-SPARC-20120917/22.locale.numpunct.mt.nts.1.er.html/index.html

to 288:

http://s247136804.onlinehome.us/stdcxx-1056-20120918/22.locale.numpunct.mt.5.er.html/index.html

The changes are in the following files:

http://s247136804.onlinehome.us/stdcxx-1056-20120918/facet.cpp
http://s247136804.onlinehome.us/stdcxx-1056-20120918/punct.cpp

_numpunct.h looks like this:

http://s247136804.onlinehome.us/stdcxx-1056-20120918/_numpunct.h

With these changes, no races conditions are repoted for any of the
functions in std::numpunct<T>.

Still, there are 288 race conditions being reported in
__rw_locale::__rw_locale and in std::locale::_C_get_facet. We need to
identify the source and cause of these race conditions and correct
them as well.

This is not a complete solution to the problem, because we still have
to re-write the chunk of code I eliminated from facet.cpp. It is only
step one towards finding a real solution. But, at least for now, we
have pinpointed where the source of these race conditions is located,
and what causing it.

The test program was run as: ./22.locale.numpunct.mt --nthreads=8
--nloops=10000.

More to follow.

--Stefan

--