There are several things I'd like to do for the tools before releasing them:

1) deprecate the ConversionTool:
- date formatting and parsing methods are redundant with (and less complete than) DateTool ones. - number formatting and parsing methods are redundant with the NumberTool and MathTool ones, and also far less necessary now that a lot of automatic conversions are taken care of. - the only remaining feature is a toStrings() method (which does splitting and optional trimming). A single method does not legitimate the need for a tool, and in a web context, the ParameterTool already does it for GET/POST parameters. Still, we can have the method move elsewhere (but where? Maybe deprecate SortTool and have a CollectionTool do splitting and sorting?).

2) deprecate MathTool number parsing and formatting methods, which are redundant with the NumberTool ones.

3) use explicit format names: numberFormat, timeFormat, dateFormat and timestampFormat, instead of a generic 'format' parameter defaulting to an ubiquitous 'default' value. I'd also like to have the default formats be the international formats used by HTML5 (RFC 3339).

4) On the same subject of formats, I'd also would like to introduce date/time format sniffing (as there are some good algorithms out there that we can borrow). We could maybe do the sniffing once and cache the detected format in the AST (but it should be configurable, and probably default to false).

5) I'm pretty inclined to deprecate AlternatorTool, since all designers now use CSS for this purpose. Plus, we now have #if($foreach.index % 2) for this purpose.

  Claude