Glad to receive an enlightened opinion on the subject.

On 23/11/2016 20:59, Michael Osipov wrote:
Hi Claude,

not being subscribed to the Velocity dev list, though being a happy Velocity user and Maven Doxia developer relying on Velocity, here are my thoughts on this:

Having access to ISO 8601 (neither ISO-8601, nor ISO8601) in the original German version through my employer (unfortunately, I cannot share due to legal reasons), I can shed some light here.

I have raised the same issues with Commons Lang, all of them have been addressed some time ago.

1. The 'T' is always mandatory, *unless* it has been mutually agreed to replace it for a space (U+0020). It is a safe bet to name iso-human but not having it as default. 2. Consider that you have used the extended format (s. Common Lang). Don't forget that there is also a basic format. Document that at least. 3. There is no need to reference to RFC when you have always an ISO standard applied by half of the planet.

Ok.

4. "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ssX and "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ssX" are incomplete if you have offsets by 30 or 45 minutes. You are simply truncating them. Unless you know and you probably don't, always stick with XXX in extended format.

It's XXX in the code. ssX appeared only in the mail discussion on the dev list.

5. ISO operates on timezone *offsets* (except Zulu) not on timezones like Olson TZ DB.

I agree there is a linguistic confusion, here. Even the SimpleDateFormat javadocs are imprecise on this. But well... when there's a sign it's an offset, otherwise it's a timezone...

6. I consider 435 to 441 being inconsisting to their counterpart 420 to 423.

Oh, you're speaking about line numbers in ConversionUtils.java... why is it inconsistent? When we're speaking about date only, there is no timezone or separator involved, so it's the same format.

I would really try to make a difference between ISO and ISO for humans because people mostly do not care about timezones, they want to have it in their local one.

iso, iso-human, iso-tz (does not apply to date only), iso-human-tz (does not apply to date only) (ideally with an Olson TZ ID?)

I like it.

By Olson TZ ID, I guess you refer to "zzz" (aka CET), and not "zzzz" (aka Central European Time), don't you?

  Claude