Claude,

On 7/17/17 7:09 AM, Claude Brisson wrote:
> A new test build of Velocity Engine 2.0 is available (RC9).
>
> No determination as to the quality ('alpha,' 'beta,' or 'GA') of
> Velocity Engine 2.0 has been made, and at this time it is simply a
> "test build". We welcome any comments you may have, and will take
> all feedback into account if a quality vote is called for this
> build.
>
> Release notes:
>
> *
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/velocity/velocity-engine/2.0/re
lease-notes.html

> *
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/velocity/velocity-engine/2.0/
>
>  Maven 2 staging repository:
>
> *
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachevelocity-1
020/

>  A vote regarding the quality of this test build will be initiated
> within the next couple of days.
>
> Release Candidates changelog:
>
> RC1: initial candidate RC2: bugfixes RC3: review SLF4J Logger names
> (instead of a single logger named "Velocity", have a hierarchy of
> loggers with a base of 'org.apache.velocity') RC4: minor fixes
> RC5: * the default encoding is now UTF-8 (and not the platform
> default) * commons-collections is not any more a compilation
> dependency * commons-lang3 dependency is not any more shaded * the
> configuration API doesn't reference ExtProperties * the events API
> has been optimized and reviewed: all events do receive the current
> Context * there has been a few optimizations in ASTStringLiteral
> rendering RC6: mostly code cleaning and build process optimization
> ; assembly module has been dropped RC7: still a lot of core
> cleanups and reviews, plus: * new strategy for reference boolean
> evaluation * allow expressions inside [ ] : $foo[$bar + 1] RC8:
> vararg methods bugfix RC9: reenginering of the
> DataSourceResourceLoader

I should really know the answer to this question already, but I don't,
ant it's not covered in the Release Notes:

Is Velocity 2.0 backward-compatible with templates written for 1.x?
Should I be able to simply replace e.g. Velocity 1.7 with 2.0 and
expect it to work with very few changes? The changelog seems to
indicate that "most things" ought to work right away, but I thought
I'd ask.

If that's the expectation, then I'll throw 2.0 into my testing
environment immediately and see what happens.

Thanks,
- -chris