TZ> But with your answers I can never understand your way of working;

Okay, here's how it works.

Everyone has read access to XFree86 CVS (see the www.xfree86.org page
for details), and most developers keep a private XFree86 CVS tree,
which they keep up to date using either cvs or cvsup.  As you work,
you make the modifications to your private tree, and test them locally
or by passing them on to the list.

When you're happy with your changes, you cvs diff and send a patch to
the right address, together with an explanation.  The patch gets
reviewed by the Old and the Wise, who either commit it or else get
back to you.

It is important to realise that all commits are accompanied with a
change to the CHANGELOG file.  Determining who is guilty for a given
change is as simple as cvs diff CHANGELOG.  If you have a problem with
a change, you get in touch with the person credited in the CHANGELOG,
not with the committer.

In my experience, the system works reasonably well, except when
committers are busy.  Usually, a well-explained patch gets committed
with no comment; in the few cases when the committer objected, he
either convinced me that my approach was wrong, or else requested some
minor changes to the code.

When the committers get busy with other things, work on XFree86
becomes absolute hell, as your private CVS tree gets increasingly out
of sync with the official tree, and generating patches to share
becomes extremely painful.  This happened last spring for a few
months, and I hope it doesn't happen again soon.

I hope this clarifies things,

                                        Juliusz