Hi

Why does the octstr_cat(Octstr *ostr1, Octstr *ostr2) function in
gwlib/octstr.c require that ostr1 be non-immutable?
It contains:
gw_assert(!ostr1->immutable);

I can't see any reason for the requirement since ostr1 is never modified in
octstr_cat() so to me octstr_cat() should work perfectly fine/safely if ostr1
is immutable.
And since the requirement is there for ostr1, why is it not there for ostr2?
There's no difference in the way that ostr1 and ostr2 is used.

I now have to resort to much slower functions such as octstr_format or
octstr_insert or octstr_append to get the same result.

My use case:

void myfunc(const Octstr *param) // param should/will not be modified
{
    Octstr *newvar = octstr_cat(octstr_imm("PREFIX"), param);  // this will
panic
    // Do something with newvar
}

So my work around is newvar = octstr_format("%s%S", "PREFIX", param); but could
also have newvar = octstr_create("PREFIX"); octstr_append(newvar, param); or
even newvar = octstr_duplicate(param); octstr_insert(newvar,
octstr_imm("PREFIX"), 0);

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this, and if
the powers that be agree with me remove the assertion?

Thanks in advance
Werner

[cid:image1a2972.PNG@6b9549b0.4bb1f1fc]

Werner Coetzee