Hi list,

this message is a bit off topic - I'm writing a thesis on content
adaptation and trying to figure out the major problems in content
adaptation, primary in device capabilities recognition.

I suppose that this list is read both by service and application
providers, so I hope that one will be able to comment my questions.

The problem I'm trying to figure out is about obtaining device
capabilities from IMEI. Useful 3GPP draft (after the meeting issued by
Vodafone) describing the problematic is here:
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/tsg_sa/TSG_SA/TSGS_19/Docs/PDF/SP-030133.pdf

My questions are as follows:

- What is the common practice to collect and relate MSISDN with IMEI?
Querying EIR and HLR seems the simplest way.

- What are the sources to relate IMEI with the phone model (possibly
including SVN - software version number)? As far as I figured out, GSM
Association (http://www.gsmworld.com) members have an access to such
database. Any members around? There is also one public, but too far
from complete, database: http://www.nobbi.com/tacquerydb.htm.

- What is  the common practice to relate phone model with it's
capabilities? Currently I know two ways: using UAprof (where sometimes
buggy information is provided by the manufacturer), or using
centralized and manually-corrected capabilities database, such as
WURFL (http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/).

- Is there any MMSC implementing MM5/MM6? What are the other
"standard" ways to check device capabilities? This seems the most
important before sending MMS indication (what is phone does not
support MMS? See 3GPP document mentioned above).

- Is there any (commercial or not) PPG taking into account device
capabilities negotiation (send plain sms instead of push etc.)? Is the
"Client Capabilities Query" used? If so, what are the ways to obtain
device capabilites having MSISDN (or IP address) as the only
information?

- What are the (open source) tools which could take a challenge in
converting new formats (such as video, vector graphics - SVG and
others) available in MMS?

I'm sure there are too many questions and even some of them are
rhetoric ones, but I hope to receive any useful feedback.

--
Dziugas