Thank you Jason,

 Comments welcome from all interested parties, before we apply patch.

Paul.

On Sep 10, 2008, at 07:13, Jason Pollock wrote:

PostgreSQL isn't really an option for me here at this point.

I've modified the lock functions to (hopefully) allow linux's flock semantics.

The code now maintains a list of inode/dev pairs. When a lock request arrives for an existing inode/dev, it
is forced to wait on a pthread_cond_t.

The change does require that close and fclose be changed to two functions in the library to maintain the list. Otherwise the list will get out of sync with the locks. This may not be viable for the main code base.

I've attached my changes, I would appreciate any comments. Just a warning - I haven't tested it extensively, just enough to see that it stops the queue runner from starting a message a second time.

P. A. Bagyenda wrote:

We welcome a solution when one is found! The chickens among us would, if using Solaris, rather use the PostgreSQL-based queue storage module instead :)
That brings a number of advantages:
- Queue processing is faster for larger queues, since unlike the file-based storage which scans the entire queue directory tree on each run, this one only picks up messages due for processing
- Message archival is built in.