The fifth annual MIT Technology Review Emerging Technology Conference kicked off this morning with a presentation from Nicholas Negroponte of the MIT Media Lab. Negroponte discussed his $100 laptop initiative, in which he is working to produce a low-cost laptop for mass distribution in k-12 schools in the developing world.

"It is the most important project I've ever done in my life... The reception it's received has been incredible," he said. "The idea is simple - it's to look at education. This is an education project, not just a laptop project. If you take any world problem - peace, the environment, poverty - the solution to that problem certainly includes education. And if you have a solution that doesn't include education, than it's not a real solution at all."

"In emerging nations, the issue is not connectivity," Negroponte continued. "It *was* the issue; it's not a solved problem, but there are many people and many systems working on it... It's happening; it doesn't need me, MIT or the Media Lab. But for education, the roadblock is the laptop."

Negroponte told the story of building schools in Cambodia. He gave students laptops to bring home, but they came back the next day, the laptops unused. Their parents would not let them use them because they were worried they'd break it. The students went back home with a note saying they didn't have to worry about the cost of the laptops; the parents loved them because they were the brightest lights they had in the home. In the first three years, only one laptop out of 50 broke (though all the AC adapters died). "Why is that? It's because of ownership. The kids polished them, made bags for them; they certainly wouldn't get broken."

Read the full report here: http://www.andycarvin.com/

Andy Carvin
Program Director
EDC Center for Media & Community