On 3/11/2016 6:22 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-03-11, 4:11 PM Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 3/11/2016 4:19 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> No. It is a LibreOffice bug. You broke the usability of LibreOffice
>>> on Macs with your code change.

>> *I* broke it? Sorry Larry I'm just a user like you.

> It's obvious that "you" on a product mailing list refers to the LibreOffice
> developers.Quit
> being pedantic.

Actually, why don't you stop acting like a spoiled child?

>> Libreoffice *fixed* a bug that brought to light a Mac bug.

> No. LibreOffice broke it's usability on OS X. If it makes a product for OS X
> it should work for
> OS X as it currently exists.

And every time a new bug crops up in OSX, it is on every other software
developer to work around their bugs?

> It did not bring to light a Mac bug. The requirement for the older
> Apple developed version of Java to be installed has been known for
> several years and is mentioned in the installation notes.

And it is a BUG - or rather, a very poor Apple workaround for a long
standing (meaning may likely never get fixed so deal with it) Java bug.

But my understanding is that Apple *could* fix it, they just chose the
easiest way, probably because they don't give a crap about Java (just
like they ditched Flash support a very long time ago).

> By the way, the bug is in Java. The installation of the old Apple
> Java is the long-known workaround. The current version broke that
> functionality.

Correct - so complain to Apple about their crappy workaround, complain
to Oracle to fix the JRE, or stfu and just implement the new workaround
to install the JDK.

> Yeah. Mac users will deal with it. They'll quit using LibreOffice.

No, most will just install the JDK and move on.

>> The Libreoffice devs finally decided to make a change to their code that
>> stops 'working around' Apple's long standing bug (at least thats how I
>> read the comments)...
>
> Actually, it's a bug in Java.

I actually knew it was a Java bug, but it is apparently very long
standing, which means it may never get fixed. The bug I was referring to
above was Apple's BUGGY (lazy) workaround.

> You obviously didn't do a lot of research.

This is the first time I've seen *you* say it was a Java bug - which
begs the question, if you knew it was a Java bug, why are you
complaining here? So now it is Libreoffice's responsibility to not only
fix Apple bugs (lazy/crappy workarounds) but to fix Oracle JRE bugs as well?

>> There is a simple workaround that *you* can employ - install the JDK -
>> until Apple fixes *their* JRE package bug.

> And that fact is not mentioned in the installation instructions or
> in the release note.

This is really the only legitimate complaint that you have presented
during this entire riduculous thread.

> And until the release of 5.1 there was no need to install the JDK.

Things/requirements change.

> And, unless you are a developer, there is no other need for it.

Actually there is - it is now required if you want Libreoffice 5.1+ to
recognize Java8 on a Mac because of Apple's longstanding broken JRE
packaging and a very long standing bug in Java (or is it just the Java
packaging?) itself.

> Besides, it takes up a lot more disk space on your computer.

Rotflmao!

The exact same argument could be made about having to install the old,
extremely insecure Java6 just to make Java8 work.

> I have my own workaround. Use a different product.

Thank god its still a relatively free country.

> This bug will create a very negative impression of LibreOffice among Mac
> users. That is why I
> keep reiterating that LibreOffice needs to fix the problem
>
> Obviously you don't care about Mac users.

Wrong, I just don't care about cry babies who refuse to acknowledge
reality, but prefer to cry and threaten to hold their breath if they
don't get their way.