We tested this this morning... had to use wdn/username with an older
version of MSIE under OS9... wouldn't work otherwise.
In order to connect to the student server WEB site using Safari
I had to use wdn/username as well. This is different to the
authentication process that is needed to connect to the proxy. Can't
remember which was around that is and can't test because I am currently
outside the network but I seem to remember it was the same for Safari
but under IE a separate Windows Domain Name option popped up.

Just to review our settings for AUTHOXY...
..The Authoxy proxy -> settings are JUST username password
..Prompt for credentials is NOT enabled
..Remote Proxy Details are
..Use this server -> 172.16.1.1 Port 80 Note the use of the IP address
..not a name that must be resolved. Your address will be 10.2.0.2
..Authoxy in this case is set to run on port 8080.
..By the way  under normal use we don't write debugging info.

The NTLM section
..ENABLED
..Just the Windows Domain Name - in our case "curriculum"
..Host/workstation 172.16.1.1 (again yours will be 10.2.0.2)

Thats all for authoxy

In your NETWORK settings -> TCP/IP, you will be using Manual IP address
from memory 10.2.0.x where x is neither 1 nor 2 !!!
the mask should be 255.0.0.0, or perhaps 255.255.0.0, try the first one.
The router will be 10.2.0.2

TAKE OUT THE DNS ENTRY all together..
OR try putting 10.2.0.2 before the DNS entry of 10.2.0.1
OR deleting 10.2.0.1

I agree with your Admin chap. this does and has always sounded like
a DNS timeout, but why and whats causing it is the question because
at this stage, you shouldn't be interacting with a DN server.

Just as a matter of interest, is your domain name server (10.2.0.1)
a Windows or Unix/Linux machine. This is important if the Windows
Name Server is trying to validate your name and update itself ( a stupid
and dangerous windows option that everybody else bans) and the updating
process is trying to check to see if you have already authenticated before
you have actually successfully authenticated... In this case I
would take out your link to the domain name server altogether and if
necessary put a domain name server from the outside world in its place.
This action by definition will force all DNS transactions out through the proxy
server which is what you want. Try 203.50.2.71 in the DNS entry...
this is a large main DNS server within the major Telecoms company here in
Australia and should be fast enough to test with. A local one will
be quicker but only by a few millseconds assuming that the piece of wire
between the US and Australia is intact!!!

Must get back to work.

Cheers,
Bruce.