I got a response to this question on the Android Beginners mailing
list.  "Digit" writes (in
http://groups.google.com/group/android-beginners/msg/e031e413b2c1bc73):

> one way to solve this is to have Authoxy listen on a non-local
> interface ( e.g. 0.0.0.0), then set the emulated proxy settings to
> connect to the non-local IP address of your machine

I don't understand why this would be necessary, but is it possible to
have Authoxy "listen on a non-local interface"?

I tried setting the emulator's proxy settings to connect to the
non-local IP address of my machine (as I describe in
http://groups.google.com/group/android-beginners/msg/a01f771ef554db11),
but it didn't work.  Is there anything else I might need to configure
on my machine to allow the emulator to connect to Authoxy?

--
Daryl