You're quite right - a typical IRC proxy doesn't use the normal web proxy (HTTP) method so Authoxy is not going to be any use. That said, it appears there are some "last resort" implementations that attempt to work through a HTTP proxy, although at the sacrifice of DCC and Ident etc.

If you can find a Mac IRC client with "web" proxy support, it may be worth a go. But as you say, have 6667 open at the firewall is the best way to go.

By the way, I second the Colloquy recommendation - it's a very nice IRC client under constant development. Might be worth checking for a HTTP Proxy option.

Heath