I have to agree for the most part with Steve.  I really do not see this move by Adobe as a choice of weakness because they cannot compete in lateral markets.

Whenever code is contributed to Mozilla, this usually indicates a community centric approach to get more involvement in the world community environments to develop more open source solutions to create better products.

Since ActionScript offers a substantial library for Object Oriented programming for rich interfaces, I would foresee the increase in RIA applications.

Microsoft has used Flash for their public facing pages in the past.  The world's adoption of the Flash Player as the quickest adopted rich media solution shows the acceptance of ActionScript based tools.

Myself and most developers that I know have Firefox installed on their system out of personal choice and acceptance of community supported browsers that have a better history of security and adoption of web standards.

The move seems logical to give Flash to the world internet community as a demonstration of desire to push web interfaces.

Teddy