> did all this - I am still getting around 35 MB per instance. And it
> is not the fault of webfaction. The same site on my local machine
> gives the same figure. This on the latest svn in both cases. The last
> time I looked at these figures, it was around 12-15mb an instance.
> Any other clues?

I remember someone there saying that right after you restart Apache
the RAM usage is low, but after it's served a few requests the usage
jumps, and then stays high -- ie, it's normal. Had you kept it at
12-15 for a long time previously? Is it possible that the last time
you checked usage was just following an Apache restart?

Otherwise, my solution to these problems is to host unpopular websites
that no one looks at.

Yrs,