Looks like I nailed the reverse proxy arrangement, apologies to all on
this mailing list, this particular issue isn't something specific to
Django:

- Definitely do not need to configure SetRemoteAddrFromForwardedFor
middleware (
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/trunk/django/middleware/http.py?rev=11000#L33)
in Django (not with nginx at least).

- In nginx, the key bits in the config files are:

# So this deals with host IP *and* port
proxy_set_header            Host $host:$server_port;
proxy_redirect default;

- What's neat is that you can use nginx and the default Django
webserver for debugging, then switch a config setting in nginx,
restart nginx and be using Apache.

Tom - re: the admin on a separate port - thanks - sounds good.