[BCC to dev and users lists - please keep the conversation on doc@ for now, at
least by BCC, since it pertains to use of the wiki(s).]

I notice that the User Guide draft does not provide connection to topics around
installation, startup, and so on, at least not at the top level,
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide>.

The Apache OpenOffice Documentation Project page is project descriptive, rather
than documentation descriptive,
at <https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation>.  This page has a mix of
old and somewhat recent material and a variety of formats and
works-in-progress.

I am particularly interested, myself, in information about installation, start
up, ways of starting work with documents, saving and locating documents, tips
for configuring for careful and systematic operation as well as
trouble-shooting, working-around common problems, and limitations to be known
about.  I am also interested in that information being well-illustrated.  My
priority, by the way, is Windows first, since that represents over 85% of our
user community measured by download statistics.

These don't seem to be part of the User Guide project but there are a variety
of places where better information could be provided.

It seems to me that there are three ways to have the supporting documentation
address this.

 1. Add a section to the user guide for covering Installation, Configuration,
Operation, Troubleshooting, and Removal.  It would need to deal with separation
of the different platforms (and their versions) in some clean way so that users
on a particular platform can find what is pertinent to them and requires
knowing their computer operating-system when it is not the same for all
platforms.  It would also need to deal with differences in AOO version
functionality/caveats in some manner.

 2. Use the current structure and update and add the information that seems to
be important for providing the kind of documentation support I am speaking of,
employing/expanding HOWTOs and the Frequently Asked Questions to tie into such
material.

 3. Maybe some combination, although cross-referencing might not serve users
well unless it is smooth and frictionless (especially around users not losing
their place based on what they are looking into).

Down the road, I would think it would be good to move The Documentation Project
to a DocumentationProject wiki topic, and have current relevant documentation
at the Documentation topic.  Older material about unsupported software could
move to a separate topic page (PreviousDocumentation ?) and cleaned up, and be
accessible from the top-level Documentation topic.

Is there some coordination required about this, so that things don't be left in
a broken, disconnected state?  I think the material could be migrated in a way
that keeps everything connected even as material is morphed into a new
structure.

 - Dennis

PS: I notice there were no responses to this question about how inter-version
changes or specific-version items are identified.

PPS: Something else that needs to be done is cleanup around what is under PDL
and what is not. I would thing that needs to be attended to in separation of
Apache Licensed material and anything that must be retained under PDL.