> it seems the goal is to move away from .xhp to .xhtml
>
> I hope you meant HTML 5, because XHTML is a dead end (and good riddance).

html does not have markup for some of the semantics that we have (and need)
> in the help files (like <section> or <embed> to name few)

Both <section> and <embed> are part of HTML 5 and there is a good chance
the other things are as well.

there are many ways how to describe the same thing in html (<b>'s and <i>'s

CSS is the preferred way, its the same as with styles and direct formatting
in Writer.