Hi Jan

Em 16/12/2016 15:41, Jan Holesovsky escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> khagaroth píše v Pá 16. 12. 2016 v 17:51 +0100:
>
>>> I hope you meant HTML 5, because XHTML is a dead end (and good riddance).
>> html does not have markup for some of the semantics that we have (and need)
>>> in the help files (like <section> or <embed> to name few)
>>>
>> Both <section> and <embed> are part of HTML 5 and there is a good chance
>> the other things are as well.
> They are, but they mean a completely different thing than what they mean
> in XHP ;-)
>
> <embed> in XHP is more like <object name="foo" type="text/html"
> data="foo.inc"></object>.
>
> Similarly <section> is more like a <div> with some associated css.
>
> Again - I'm talking semantics; <object> is a general thing, and has no
> semantics by itself, similarly <div>.  We'd lose this by converting to a
> plain HTML.
>
> All the best,
> Kendy

One thing I'd like to add for evaluation of using XML for the help
contents in browsers is that,  in my experience:

*  XSLT (XML style sheets), XPath and XQuery  are another technologies
to master.

* An error in a XSLT statement and one get  a blank page or a message
with very little indications (Firefox)

* XSLT seems to be an aging technology. Is the industry betting in this
technology for the future?

* Rendering XML+XSLT is browser-dependent and is not publicly/widely
tested by W3C. We may be forced to test the results into a wide set of
browsers.

Regards

--
Olivier Hallot