Hi,

Following on from Natalie's email, some more notes and links from the
other night.

If we're the only ones in that snug then ask one of the bar staff to
turn off its speaker;  its volume is independently controlled and we
make enough noise ourselves.  :-)

Peter Merchant mentioned Evergreen, a library (books) management system.
Peter, Koha was the other one that I couldn't recall.

    http://www.open-ils.org/
    http://koha.org/

A contentious one this, programmers should be able to type at a decent
clip.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2008/11/we-are-typists-first-programmers-second.html

Qwerty and Dvorak keyboard layouts and how the Qwerty layout is like
that to slow typists down, lessening jamming of the arms on a
typewriter.  We had a vague idea that was a myth and QI may have
highlighted it.  Seems it is a myth.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~dcrehr/whyqwert.html

FixMyStreet is a Gov.-sponsored site that funnels your complaints to the
appropriate bit of council by email.  (I've had success getting severe
potholes fixed after giving their precise locations.)  It's been around
a while, written by the same people as TheyWorkForYou.

    http://fixmystreet.com/
    http://fixmystreet.com/?pc=BH8+9TG
    http://theyworkforyou.com/

It can also be handy for the detailed map it gives showing land
boundaries and building shapes.  In Dorset, the councils' site can also
give a detailed but small map.  After entering a post code in "Find your
nearest" you get a list of properties that match, select one and its
building will be dead-centre of the small map and aerial view.  There's
also the occasional house number.

    http://dorsetforyou.com/

http://maps.dorsetforyou.com/mynearest/addressview.aspx?appid=1&addid=100040722479

Bing, despite being Microsoft, does give Ordnance Survey maps, unlike
Google.  Sometimes they're what's needed.  It also has an aerial view
that instead of being plan is angled so you can rotate through the
cardinal points.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=50.753840739969434~-1.8555555492639542&lvl=15&dir=0&sty=s&eo=0&where1=BH8%209TG%2C%20Bournemouth%2C%20Bournemouth&q=BH8%209TG

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=sfs4pjgvbpwf&lvl=19.029114488755162&dir=4.648450246862805&sty=b&eo=0&where1=BH8%209TG%2C%20Bournemouth%2C%20Bournemouth&q=BH8%209TG

Because bing's photos from different directions can be taken months
apart, if there's a building site then as you rotate the new builds
shoot up and down.  That reminded Tim of a photographer that does very
long exposures and he later passed on the URL on #dorset.

http://itchyi.squarespace.com/thelatest/2010/7/20/the-longest-photographic-exposures-in-history.html

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00