Thanks guys. I did not have qsfreqLogSearchFrequency set in my

localprefs so can;t use that yet. I remember now when you added qsfreq
sometime ago Glen, I had totally forgotten about that. In fact I have
put up with the load time and never bothered to disable before, mainly
due to xp being so solid not, that I often don't reboot for a while just
go into standby. Of late though I really have been noticing it on my
work machine which I have been rebooting frequently testing stuff and so
decided to disable the ones I did not use.

Anyway, I used the bulk rename utility to re-enable each letter in turn
starting with a*.disabled. I reloaded each time and worked my way
through. Now with all searches enabled and having rebooted I still get
the same conditional compilation is turned off message :-(

Any thoughts?

Tom.