My mistake on the alert, I used the wrong version. Sorry. Thanks again David for a great search. I'll be using it a lot.

Tom.

tom.corco...@moonbade.com wrote:
Thanks for this search David. I missed the popup dictionary which I
used to use before and installed this today, finally, it had been on
my todo list since you released it. Fantastic! It works great.

For anyone wishing to work on it as David suggests, here are some
observations:

When I first ran it I did it with the colon first which hung up dqsd
for me. Normally when this happens I restart explorer by killing the
process and reopening explorer but this killed me completely this time
for some reason and I had to restart.

Doing a lookup with an incorrect spelling causes a popup error:
http://i28.tinypic.com/10cq7ux.jpg

Cheers, Tom.

David Blume <david.bl...@gmail.com> wrote:

My favorite feature of dqsd is the mwd popup feature when mapped to
the postfix operator :. It's small, handy and unobtrusive. It's
important to me that a simple definition lookup doesn't switch context
from what I want to be doing, that it not bring up a browser window.
I've mentioned it before here:
http://dblume.livejournal.com/65402.html That feature is broken yet
again, and not worth fixing anymore.

MWD's changed the format of their page so much I've given up trying to
make mwd work anymore. They'll just break it again. So here's a
replacement search. It's called "df", short for definition.

Here's how I use it. I add: :|df to localaliases.txt, and now when I
need the definition of a word, I type the word with a colon, and the
definition pops up in a little window in the corner.

Please note: I don't know any _javascript_, XML, CSS, HTML or web
servicey stuff. I only did this because it was too useful a feature
not to have. Nothing would delight me more than somebody who knows
what they're doing taking it over and cleaning it up. Enjoy, --David
PS. If anybody does look at the code, you'll see that I only look for
definitions in at most two dictionaries. My selection was based on
experimentation and is quite arbitrary. I wrote the search for me,
after all. But it'd be great to make that customizable, or when a word
is misspelled, to attempt a Match from
http://services.aonaware.com/DictService/DictService.asmx/Match?word=string&strategy=... with a strategy from http://services.aonaware.com/DictService/DictService.asmx/StrategyList. That'd be
nice.

PPS. There are probably glaring problems with the submitted file. I
apologize in advance. It was only tested on my Windows Vista machine
with launchmode=1, and my default browser is Firefox. Please, go ahead
and fix it so it works for you, too.

Cheers,
Tom.