Hi All,

I sent my R-4C (S/N 26903, May 1977) to Rob Sherwood for alignment and
installation of the 5 basic modifications on his website (filter cap kit,
AMP-4, MIX-4, PD-4, R-4C power supply board).  Rob found that my R-4C had
issues with the OEM stock first mixer and last IF tubes.  Attached are parts of
the conversation, which has a few morsels of wisdom in it regarding the R-4C
specifically, and receiver testing in general.

Best,
Hugh
WA2LXB
__________________________________

WA2LXB: Regarding the first mixer tube and the last IF tube, those are the kind
of failures that I would not be able to diagnose at my shack due to lack of
experience and lack of test gear.  For my education, would you mind briefly
explaining how you diagnosed the two failed tubes?  I would assume that it was
a several step process, starting with the most generic observations and then
proceeding to instrumented testing...again starting generically and then moving
to the details.

Rob's REPLY:  Your radio was pretty basic from that standpoint.  There are
certain levels in dBm or microvolts that should make the S meter read certain
values.  If the preselector peak is appropriately audible, but the S meter
reading is low, then total gain is suspect.  In your case when I wiggled the
first mixer tube, it made a lot of noise.  Replacing the tube brought the gain
up to nominal.  The other issue was random crackling in the speaker, and at
times moving the S meter off of S1.  Since the MIX-4 (Sherwood mod) had
eliminated the tube before the last IF tube, I decided to replace the 6BA6.
This got rid of the random crackling.   One can rarely detect a problem with an
antenna connected since band noise is way above receiver noise.

I never use a tube tester (for the R-4C), as with all Drake products, the
tester is worthless.  Drake uses very high grid resistor values, and any kind
of grid leakage will seriously affect performance. Substitution is always
needed, and hand selection, too.  NOS tubes are one's best bet, and for the
6BA6 and 6BE6 I use the mil version 5749 and 5750.

To test any radio requires as a minimum a 100 MHz scope and a decent signal
generator.  Of course any DVM is going to be adequate for most service issues.
I don't use C & R boxes, but I do have the best spectrum analyzers and signal
generators beyond what would be generally needed for service.  All are HP and
Tektronix.  Testing 100 dB radios really pushes the state-of-the-art.  When
there are less obvious issues with the C-Line, I use a spectrum analyzer and an
FET probe to follow the signal from antenna input clear to the input to the
product detector.  Sometimes that is the only way to troubleshoot.

Message: 1