Hi Filbert,

> Has any one faced similar problem.
>
>  WARN  org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.DSpaceServlet @
> anonymous:no_context:database_error:org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException
> :
> Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
>
> What is solution of this problem.

DSpace holds a 'pool' of connections to the database which it reuses. This
means it doesn't have the overhead of creating a connection to the database
each time it needs to talk to the database.

The error message suggests that all of these connections are in use, and it
has reached the number of connections that you have said it can have. The
default set in [connections]/config/dspace.cfg is:

db.maxconnections = 30

There are two reasons that you might be reaching this limit -

1) Your DSpace is very busy (lots of visitors) and there are not enough
connections to cope. If your hardware is large enough to cope with number of
connections, you could think about increasing the number of connections in
the pool. (change the number, restart Tomcat).

2) For some reason, DSpace might not be letting go of some old connections,
or they might be stuck in some way. If you are using UNIX and postgres, you
should be able to see the connections, and what they are doing, by running a
'ps' on them  (make sure you're screen is wide to see what comes at the end
of the line). This might show that the connections are stuck - typical state
might be 'idle in transaction'. This can also happen if connections to the
database are not closed properly by DSpace.

Which version / operating system / database do you use?

I hope this helps,

Stuart

Datblygydd Cymwysiadau'r We            Web Applications Developer
Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Cymru Aberystwyth       University of Wales Aberystwyth

            E-bost / E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860