(Note: this is a cross-posting in the fedora and dspace communities)

Hello and Happy Belated Software Freedom Day! http://
www.softwarefreedomday.org/

I'm excited to recently be participating in efforts within our
community to find new synergies between DSpace and Fedora. Likewise,
the recent announcement by both Foundations that they are excited
about working together is positive.

I originally met in the spring with Chris Wilper, Dan Davis and
Matthew Zumwalt of the Fedora Commons community at JA-SIG 2008 in St.
Paul and had several very positive interactions with them about
synergies between the two projects. I recall that during that
discussion, the strongest point made was that DSpace and Fedora fill
very different niches in the ecosystem of Digital Libraries and
Content Management. I was excited to see the recognition of this on
their side of the table as well.

At that time we were just warming up for the DSpace GSoC 2008
selection process and had several interesting options come onto the
table around this topic of interoperability between DSpace and
Fedora.  I recall at the time, it the original statement that it
should be in the list came for either Jim Downing or Scott Yeadon
back in the early spring of this year.  My point being, that the
roots of the latest endeavors are arising from multiple sources
within our communities. But this said, I feel the recent
announcements by both foundations to begin working collaboratively
are now galvanizing this process.  I look forward to participating in
these new initiatives and hope others are interested as well.

I think we are already starting to see the manifestation of this
relationship today.  There have been several projects within the
DSpace community that have been going on this summer and I'd like to
informally report on them.

Google Summer of Code:

Recently DSpace participated in the Google Summer of Code, we had
four students working on various projects (http://wiki.dspace.org/
index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code). All these projects were very
interesting and successfully completed by the students.  The DSpace/
Fedora integration project (Andrius Blažinskas mentored by Richard
Rodgers) and Semantic Web Enabling project (Peter Coetzee mentored by
myself) both explored extremely positive possibilities around opening
up the backend assetstore and metadata management services of DSpace
to alternative solutions and allowing for the mapping and storage of
DSpace Content and Metadata to Fedora Digital Objects and
alternatively, its expression in RDF and exposure as Linked Open Data
via SPARQL endpoints.

DSpace Fedora Integration:

Mapping DSpace Objects to Fedora Digital Object representations.
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/
Google_Summer_of_Code_2008_Fedora_Integration

At its heart the Fedora integration is an implementation of the
current Data Access Object interfaces we have been working on for
DSpace 2.0 and successfully represented DSpace Communities,
Collections, Items and their Bitstream Contents as Fedora Objects
with RELS-EXT relations between them and metadata expressed as XML
datastreams.

DSpace RDF Triplestore Integration:

http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/
Google_Summer_of_Code_2008_Fedora_Integration

The recent activity around the Linked Open Data community and the
Semantic Web led us to want to explore how the DSpace data model and
metadata services could be implemented on top of an RDF triplestore
and how those LoD Representations could be exposed to the world and
made queriable via SPARQL endpoints. The outcome of the project
allowed us to

1.) Produce an ontology for DSpace (http://purl.org/dspace/model) for
serialization into RDF triple-stores and for querying via SW/LoD
SPARQL endpoints.

2.) Implement a Storage layer for DSpace 2.0 that provided a mapping
to RDF and Query Support capabilities via D2RQ mappings and Jena
Triplestores.

DSpace 2.0 Funded Development:

This Fall I am a member of a funded team working to establish the
foundations for a concrete DSpace 2.0 design and implementation. This
includes, among various other topics, re-architecting the DSpace Data
Model and aligning it with other platforms/standards for representing
content in repositories. In my opinion, this represents an ideal
opportunity to open discussions within both communities on how these
tools can be better leveraged, their niches better defined, and best
practices on their interoperability better established.

Our initial activity around DSpace 2.0 has involved opening up the
data model to support the better attachment of metadata to DSpace
objects (Communities, Collections, Items, Bundles, Bitstreams) and
also to support the attachment of "Content" more generically along
the various objects within the model. For us this presents a new need
for Common shared API/protocols/services that will allow for the
configuration of extensible and stackable Content and Metadata
Repository Interfaces in DSpace 2.0 and a more common shared
representation of that Content+Metadata across such a heterogeneous
environment of services. In researching this possibility for an
implementation, I've reviewed the Fedora APIs and Object model, as
well as those API found in Sword, JCR(170/283) and CMIS.

What intrigues me the most about these projects above, is that the
problem domain for enabling the exposure and management of content in
tools such as DSpace and Fedora is actually a subset of a larger
direction that the whole CMS industry/Sector is moving in with
technologies and standards such as APP and CMIS. This is very
promising for the future of our services as we will begin to see
these initiatives begin to solve some of the problems we experience
right now to heterogeneous parallel solutions to the same problem
domain.

External Technology Fronts:

In my opinion, (1) the Linked Open Data, semantic web, RDF centric
approach to describing the relationships between "Resources" and (2)
exposing these Resource representations as the basis for a RESTful
metadata service (with endpoints such as SQL2,JQOM ,SPARQL for query)
will form the basis for the future interoperability of not only
Fedora/DSpace tools, but also for these tools with two larger
communities:

A,) The Linked Open Data movement: Semantically link Data Web,
Projects such as LoD, DCMI and Library of Congress exposure of
metadata and classification registries.

B.) The CMIS/JCR content repository standards communities that are
manifesting common shared API and protocols for interacting more
generically with Content Repositories.

I'd be quite interested in seeing how these technologies will alter
the Library community’s concepts and expectations behind registries
and vocabulary. It can already be seen today in projects like the
Library of Congress Standards & Research Data Values Registry

http://www.loc.gov:8081/standards/registry/lists.html
http://metadataregistry.org/
http://dcmi.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/dcregistry/

I hope to see it begin to impact other registries as we begin to
recognize (1) our metadata is content and (2) it is heavily
interlinked. I hope to see the effects eventually percolate into
projects such as the GDFR/Pronom Format Registry services.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/PRONOM
http://www.formatregistry.org/

I would be very excited to see common response formats (SPARQL/XML,
RDF/XML, JSON) and common Query Syntaxes (SPARQL) on such data-sets
in such a way as to allow the reuse of existing clients and popular
technologies that can be more easily transferred to employees and
across positions within the sector.

Application to our Community:

Interestingly, because of evolving in a grant funded research
community, many of these projects perceive their work as competitive
or opposing in nature. I perceive a revolution occurring, at least
within our own small community of DSpace, where work is shifting away
from this strategy and towards a more traditional Open Source / Open
Community model which, while appearing altruistic at first, is
actually self serving for those individuals and organizations that
participate within it, allowing them to reduce and/or altogether
eliminate this replication of effort and allow healthier synergies to
evolve.

It is becoming clearer that many of these projects have important and
separate niches to fill within the larger sector. For instance, in
the larger sector, JCR and CMIS are not competitive but complimentary.

JCR = a API
CMIS = a Protocol

A JCR CMIS driver represents a opportunity to see how these are
complementary and how they would serve both the JAVA community and
the larger CMS community, Likewise, they provide a clear blueprint
for API implementation in other languages as well as for vendors that
wish to implementing such services.

Applying the same blueprint in the Fedora/DSpace communities we see
an opportunity for DSpace and Fedora Communities to clarify the roles
of API and Protocols within them

Applications:
DSpace = a User Application (currently with its own internal CMS)
Fedora = a User Application that is a CMS

Protocols:
Fedora API (SOAP/REST) = a SOAP/REST protocol for interacting with
Fedora
DSpace LNI = a SOAP/WEB-DAV protocol for interacting with DSpace
Sword = a APP/REST protocol for interacting with DSpace, Fedora, etc

The latter group represents a set of services with protocols that
allow one to interact with a very "narrow niche" of CMS applications
in the Open Repositories Community. I find this the interesting point
where ventures with more commercial CMS protocols such as CMIS may
become the future direction of, should we be considering that CMIS is
a super-set of what Sword is going to give us?

I feel there are abstractions that will become more salient as we
explore the collaborative space between DSpace and Fedora.

A.) Identification:

I was recently intrigued to find out that Fedora can support the
identification of its ID's using URI other than the "info:fedora"
scheme:namespace.

http://www.fedora.info/definitions/identifiers/
http://oxfordrepo.blogspot.com/2008/01/conclusions-on-uuids-and-local-
ids-in.html

I think we are starting to recognize that identification of resources
within a CMS needs to be pluralistic in nature. that there are so
many efforts to establish naming/identification efforts within the
community

B.) Relationships (Ontology)

I'm intrigued think that this capability, and the usage of the RELS-
EXT RDF datastream as a holding place for dspace relationships/
metadata found in the dspace 2.0 Ontology allows a clean alignment
between DSpace Resources (Objects) and Fedora Objects and will hold
interesting possibilities for bringing together DSpace services on
top of Fedora Repositories.

DSpace and Fedora RELS-EXT Ontologies offer an opportunity for making
such above relationships more explicit. Currently, the RELS-EXT
ontology is a closed ontology that does not extend upon known common
Properties that already exist in the RDF community today, I can see a
serious benefit in making the Properties int he RELS-EXT ontology be
made subProperties of dcterms:isPartOf / dcterms:hasPart. This sort
of alignment would start these ontologies down the road to alignment
as the DSpace Ontology already uses them. Likewise, if there is any
benefit to using other shared ontologies (OAI-ORE for instance, as
the basis for expressing relations that represent aggregations/
containership. I see many further opportunities to begin to draw
equivalencies in this area.

Alignments in ontology between DSpace and Fedora will allow us to
begin to utilize inference capabilities in RDF triplestores such as
Mulgara to be able to retrieve equivalent statements made in the two
ontologies in a common ontological expression (DC, DCTERMS, ORE,
BIBO, etc) rather than two separate application specific ontologies.

Conclusion:

In closing, I'll just reiterate that we have great opportunities now
for synergy where before there were barriers.  I hope that we will
see this reflected in the conferences that we attend, attending the
JA-SIG conference last Spring opened my eyes to how the community can
benefit when developers from different projects are all placed in a
room together to talk about the technologies they use.  I think this
would make for an excellent format for Open Repositories conferences
and would benefit our newly formed foundations and communities
immensely.  Last year we saw Bar-Camps becoming popular and happening
at Open Repositories, it would be very exciting to see more
opportunities for "Un-Conferences" where we can bring together
development teams from both communities in a more formal setting to
promote collaboration.

Cheers,
Mark Diggory

p.s. This post represents my initial foray into the Blogging world, I
hope to link-back any exciting conversation threads that may arise
around it on my new blog. http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/blog

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Developer and Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Home Page: http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/homepage
Blog: http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/blog