Artie,

The radio signal will still be about the same, it has a little
narrower bandwidth, so for a given power output you get a slight
advantage over the wider analog FM signal.  However, since D-STAR is
digital with error correction, what you will experience is that when
the analog FM signal gets tougher and tougher to copy due to a lower
signal to noise ratio, the D-STAR signal will stay much clearer until
it drops out. I have had many D-STAR contacts with a S0 meter reading
and perfectly clear audio.  Here is a good comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYhLtS-0gE
  (not english, but you can get the distinct difference on a weak
signal).

The D-STAR signal can suffer if the multipath is strong.

What you may want to do is run a test.  Have someone bring a D-STAR
mobile to your repeater site and hook it to the repeater's antenna and
take a handheld out to some of your marginal areas. Switch between FM
and D-STAR and observe the difference for your exact setting.

On Mar 13, 2009, at 8:23 AM, k2aau wrote:

> To all:
>
> I currently have a Pathway obstruction where a roadway is elevated
> at 240 ft and my site is at 260 ft effecting users some 6 miles away.
>
> Mobile coverage is okay but HT coverage is okay if you find a sweet
> spot.
>
> My question is, will a digital signal have better penetration to
> defeat a pathway obstruction versus analog or will I still have the
> same problem.
>
> Can someone tell me their experience on what I can expect.
>
> Thanks
>
> 73,
>
> Artie

John Hays