I've been into D-Star almost a week, so take this for what it's worth.

 From my house (949'ASL), W8BI (957' + ? tower ASL) is 7.7 miles on a
heading of about 344ยบ true.  On the line from my house toward W8BI,
the terrain rises steadily to about 1,020' ASL within a mile, then
drops back down.

With the IC-91AD and rubber ducky, I can get into W8BI with DV
reliably from my front (north) yard.  In the living room on the north
side of the house, I am reliably copyable if sitting up to the window,
but if I lean back away from the window, I'm reported to turn into
mostly R2D2.  Strange.

 From the living room, DARA's VHF-FM has been noisy for me on my IC-
T7H, and I into the repeater, but copyable both ways. If anything that
radio may perform a little better on analog than the 91AD, but so far,
I think they're too close to call.

It is my understanding W8BI-C got a pre-amp on it right before I got
my HT because they were having problems with HTs.  I hear it said it
is now much better, but my personal experience is that I still hear a
significant amount of R2D2 from that repeater.  I guess that's the
penalty of the higher terrain near my house.

I can usually get the gist of what's being said on a noisy FM call,
but not on one with any significant R2D2. Someone commented that when
DV is sweet, it's really sweet, but it's more important to me how well
communication occurs when it isn't sweet.  I guess until I learn to
pick through R2D2, analog seems to do better there for me.

--
Moe