I think Mike gave an excellent explanation.   The following comes from the
DXCC Rules on the ARRL website:

*c) CW*: Contacts must be made using CW since January 1, 1975.
Confirmations for cross-mode contacts for this award must be dated
September 30, 1981, or earlier.  CW contacts dated December 31, 1974, or
before, are credited as Mixed mode.