Hi Cort,

My answer to you was incorrect. I did a few tests starting DX4WIN normally (not with autohotkey) and this is what I found:

As you said, when you first start, it defaults to showing the last QSO logged. Note that at this point, it's not in "add real-time" mode and status underneath where it says "File Radio Help" is blank. Also, the text in the Callsign field is highlighted. At this point, a couple of things can happen:

-If you hit F9 (just one keystroke), the status changes to "Add real-time" and the callsign QSO window is re-initialized, ready to enter a new contact. Entering a contact here causes no issues.

-If you simply type over the callsign in the QSO window, as you said it does overwrite the last logged QSO, although you do have to click "Yes" to the "Do you want to save the changes" dialog box that pops up, so it's not doing it without warning. This is essentially the same as using F8 to find a QSO, highlighting the callsign, then hitting enter.

So it appears that there is in fact no way that I can find to have it start in Add real-time mode. The best I can offer is the Autohotkey solution I mentioned.

Incidentally, I've tweaked my AHK script a bit. If anyone is interested, contact me individually so we don't clog up the list.