another strategy we have used in the past which only works for servers with
only clients on a dedicated ip with ssl is to block off port 80 when it is
being flooded.

your site will still run over the ssl port and escape attack in many cases.

Sometimes when we see a ddos we can keep the ssl clients up when the rest
drop so that is a cheap way to stay up during a ddos on a shared server if
your admin is willing to help you in that way.

$200 a year extra in a shared hosting envirnment may be the difference to
not losing your sales that week.

Not fullproof, but it does work in some cases.

Gordon
www.katzglobal.com
Anonymous Hosting(tm) Solutions