Hi Wendee,

Apparently, Haldane had a "special fondness" for the quip but did not
publish it.

I looked into this a while back and found a nice summary by Gould
(Gould, S. J. 1993. A special fondness for beetles.  Natural History
102(1): 4-9) which may be of some use to you.  It seems that a good
portion of the confusion surrounding Haldane's famous phrase stems
from the fact that he never actually wrote it down.  None of Haldane's
published work contains the statement.  In fact, the only written
record of the statement comes from an address to the British
Interplanetary Society in which, according to the society's secretary,
Haldane said, "...the fact there are 400,000 species of beetles on
this planet, but only 8000 species of mammals" suggests that "the
Creator, if He exists, has a special preference for beetles."  Gould
(1993) mentions, humorously, that Haldane did have an inordinate
fondness for wittier version of the statement and repeated it often.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tyler

Tyler Cobb, PhD