Please circulate this announcement in your lab

March 5th 2019, 14h30-16h00
Salle de Rhumatologie, Hôpital Pellegrin, 12th floor

Charles Pence (Université catholique de Louvain)

“The Wonderful Form of Cosmic Order”: Bringing Statistics to Evolution

A PhilInBioMed seminar

Open to all
 Abstract

The introduction of statistical reasoning into evolutionary theory – and the
corresponding changes in our concepts of chance and evolution that made it
possible – did not happen overnight. In particular, many of the relevant
biologists between 1900 and 1930 (such as W. F. R. Weldon, Karl Pearson, and R.
A. Fisher) pointed back to Francis Galton as a vitally important precursor for
their work. When we read Galton, however, it is far from immediately obvious
why he would be taken to be so crucial by so many important successors. In this
talk, I’ll explore some of Galton’s ideas about the relationship between
micro-level variation and population change, and try to reconstruct what within
his thought might have been seen to be so groundbreaking by biologists in the
first part of the twentieth century. I will close by drawing some morals for
our contemporary conception of evolutionary theory.

Charles Pence is a Philosopher of biology at the Université catholique de
Louvain, Belgium. During his stay in Bordeaux, he will be available for
discussions. If you would like to talk to him, please sign up here, so that we
may arrange for a convinient time to meet.Further information on Charles Pence
and the seminar here.

--
Dr. Wiebke Bretting
Project Manager ERC IDEM

--
Pour toute question, la FAQ de la liste se trouve ici:
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/

Répondre à