From: Matt Hayes [mailto:domin...@slackadelic.com]
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2013 1:27 PM
To: efw-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Efw-user] Can ping dns server in Green, but cannot dig it from
endian 2.5.1 box

Is your internal DNS server authoritative for
myserver.mydomain.org<http://myserver.mydomain.org>?  What is the error that
dig returns?

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Steve Owley
<sow...@westervillelibrary.org<mailto:sow...@westervillelibrary.org>> wrote:
Hello and thank you for your help,

I have an endian machine set up RGB for evaluation.  There is no special
routing or NATing applied yet, just separate networks on the three NICs.  After
I ssh into it using the Green address, I can ping the local DNS server (in the
Green network) but I cannot dig it.  Dig reports that it cannot reach the
server.  So it is as if TCP were working but not UDP, or at least not UDP port
53 to Green’s network.

I had thought that dnsmasq was grabbing the request and somehow failing to
resolve the request—but if I set that to use the local DNS server for this
domain it fails, just like dig did from the command prompt.

The setup should not cause confusion:
Green: 1.0.0.47 (network is 10.0.0.0/16<http://10.0.0.0/16>)
Blue: 192.168.70.1 (network is 192.168.70.0/23<http://192.168.70.0/23>)
Red: a fixed public address

This works: ping 10.0.1.159
This fails: dig @10.0.1.159<http://10.0.1.159>
myserver.mydomain.org<http://myserver.mydomain.org>
But this works:  dig @208.67.222.222<http://208.67.222.222>
myserver.mydomain.org<http://myserver.mydomain.org> (which I assume is going
out through Red)

Thanks again if you have any advice for me.  If I can get this simple test
working I will be in a good spot to continue the test.
Steve