President, ARROW Comm. Assn. (www.w8pgw.org)
ARRL MI Section Affiliated Club Coordinator
Candidate for GL Division Vice Director, Fall 2005
Read my ham radio blog at www.kb6nu.com

wayne burdick wrote:
Hi all,

Eric (WA6HHQ) and I will be presenting a talk on kit building at Pacificon this Saturday from 2:30 to 4:45 PM in the Danville Room. Since we have a generous time slot, we'll be covering several topics.

I'd also like to extend an invitation to other kit vendors or manufacturers who may be in attendance. Bring your kits to show!

In the first hour, I'll be focusing on kits for first-time builders. I'll have a number of kits, including some just-announced mini-modules. To liven things up, I'll bring along a rig I designed 15 years ago -- the Safari 4 -- which is most definitely NOT a kit! There will be plenty of time for Q & A on building techniques, test equipment, soldering, leaded vs. surface-mount parts, etc.

In the second hour, Eric will show up with an armload of books that we've both drawn on extensively over the years. He'll talk about where each fits into a builder's library. After that, he'll talk about receiver performance. He'll explain why the classic down-conversion superhet architecture is used in nearly all of the world's most expensive transceivers, *and* in our K2, which offers similar capabilities to the kit builder.

Feel free to bring along something you've built -- kit or homebrew -- that may help us illustrate building techniques. There are always a number of beginners present for this talk who could benefit from your experience.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---