Since a truck can be defined as a wheeled vehicle for moving (heavy) loads, many variations exist.

Likewise, a balun can be defined as a device for converting from a single-ended to a balanced source/load and many variations exist.

The fact that both terms are all-inclusive doesn't negate their usefulness or demand their removal from conversation.

If people would think of a balun as performing a function rather than a particular device for performing that function they would have less heartburn. In other words, saying, "When feeding a balanced antenna with coax, it is advisable to incorporate a balun at the feed point.", shouldn't start an argument about what constitutes a balun.

If we are to follow the commandments of one of our correspondents we should remove "truck" from our vocabulary, since it isn't a precise term.

Wes  N7WS