Dave,

Are you using VOX? If so, try replacing the cable between the soundcard and the KX3 mic jack, I am thinking it may have a broken shield and is picking up noise.

Try switching to PTT instead of VOX. I don't know your software application nor its capabilities, but you likely need a "one transistor keying interface" to drive the KX3 PTT input.

73,
Don W3FPR