Write it into the contract that the unit will not generate RFI above some level you are happy with, as received at your radio, using your current antenna, across the entire spectrum your radio covers.

I did, and the installers then made sure it was RFI proof... I wrote it into the contract in general terms that favored me, and left it up to me to say yes or no as to if it were acceptable.

Bring it up first, remind them about it later, tell them it is a show stopper if the unit generates RFI, put it in writing...

Make sure EVERYTHING is in writing. Be nice to them, but let them know in no uncertain terms that RFI is not acceptable to you, and they will be on the hook to correct it if RFI exists as a result of the new unit.

The vendors get really careful when you set things up that way...

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
http://www.nk7z.net