Ian - I am reading and enjoying very much your book Alien Phenomenology right
now so no offense meant in terms of the masculinity orientation of many of the
OOO conversations. But to try to flesh out why we might worry about such an
orientation and to respond to Michael briefly here are a few elaborations on
that theme:

1. As I said the archive of citations does matter and the fact that many of the
female and or queer authors mentioned by me earlier and by Michael below don't
surface as often as they should is not the problem in and of itself so much as
a symptom of a larger problem.

2. What is that larger problem? Well, as any Feminism 101 course will show us,
the gender hierarchy that assigns male to the 1 and female to the 0 in the
binary coding of gender, also assigns male to the status of subject and female
to the status of object. Hence, having occupied the status of "object" for some
time within both the symbolic and the imaginary of the cultures within which we
participate, surely the category of "female" should allow for some access to
the question of what is it like to be an object.

3.  Think of Butler's critique of Lacan here - in the lesbian phallus, she
basically takes on those who would argue that feminist and queer critiques of
Lacanian psychoanalysis miss the point. Arguing that if all bodies lack and
female bodies are deployed metaphorically to represent that lack, and if all
phallic bodies only possess the phallus contingently but male bodies are
deployed metaphorically to represent that possession, Butler points to a
heteronormative foundation to Lacan's mapping of the subject. Offering instead
a "lesbian phallus" that is both detachable and mobile (what does OOO have to
say about lively objects such as the dildo?), Butler shows that male narcissism
leads to a) misrecognition of the penis as the phallus and b) the inability to
theorize the object and the abject. After Butler, object oriented philosophy,
it seems to me, would have to pass through the gendered territory of the
subject/object relation.

4.  And since Michael believes that the onus of representation/critique falls
to those who say they have been left out, one word: Fanon! Indeed, again, as
with Butler, we have an elaborate racial critique of the subject/object
relation already mapped by Fanon in the "Fact of Blackness" and in Fred Moten's
work on the elaboration of the Black subject as commodity and in Hortense
Spiller's work on the "American Grammar" of race that assigns whiteness to the
subject position and blackness to the perpetual object.

 So, ok, if women and racialized bodies have all too often been rendered as
"things" in the marketplace of commodity capitalism, and if a lot of the work
on on Object Oriented Philosophy leaves the status of the human unmarked even
when rejecting it in favor of the object and relations between objects then
surely we need a queer and or feminist OO philosophy in order to address the
politics of the object.

--What are the relations between slaves and farm machines?

--How might a dildo elaborate a sexuality of the object that does not presume a
master subject?

--What is the phenomenology of the queer - see Ahmed - and what orientations
are queer and which are straight. A better way of answering michael's question
about who can do queer theory.

 ps. Is Zizek doing "low theory" - in a word, no. Even his low archives are put
to work to prove Lacan "right."

 I hope this counts as a "carefully worked out critique" in Michael's words.
And I look forward to more alien phenomenology.

 Jack