Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

>and font data loaded from the themes, would add increased lag for handling
>exposes for dropshadows, as well as have destroyed a design specifically
>targetted to be able to degrade nicely for e18 when i would like to fo
>xcomposite support.

I've been using e17 with Composite and xcompmgr/transset-df-4/xbindkeys
and it seems to work pretty well (see the nice instructions for doing
this at the Gentoo Wiki). Ironically it's a lot of GTK apps that have
the most problems with xcompmgr (Firefox+Flash plug-in will crash,
Thunderbird will crash unless you set XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS,
occassional corruption when using scrollbar in thunderbird, rdesktop).

E17 will have corruption on the background when starting up and/or
changing themes, but moving a window around the desktop to force a
repaint will fix it. Transparent windows work fine, the drop shadows
created by xcompmgr don't interfere or look out of place with e17's
dropshadows... really, it's pretty amazing!

Granted, xcompmgr and transparent windows are only usable with
proprietary NVIDIA drivers (which I am using), and other people report
great success with EXA-enabled drivers and X.Org 6.9/7.0.

Mike Russo
ReadQ Systems, Inc.
(212) 425 3680 x105

Random quote of the last-time-I-ran-bash:
It is right that he too should have his little chronicle, his memories,
his reason, and be able to recognize the good in the bad, the bad in the
worst, and so grow gently old all down the unchanging days and die one
day like any other day, only shorter.
 t              -- Samuel Beckett, "Malone Dies"