On May 20, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Irakli Gozalishvili wrote:

Hi,

Sorry if my question is stupid or does not really belongs here. I will be thankful to get some clarification on es specs since I just discovered that my interpretation of how getter / setters are supposed to behave appears to be different from the behavior in observed in modern browsers.

var foo = Object.create({}, {
    bar: {
        get: function() {
            return this._foo;
        },
        set: function(value) {
            return this._foo = 'Hello ' + value;
});

var bar = foo.bar = 'setter';
if (foo.bar !== bar) throw new Error('Unexpected');

SpiderMonkey used to do what you want, since the dawn of time (1995, the first JS runtime, "Mocha"). The result of evaluating an assignment expression was the return value of the setter, not the result of evaluating the right-hand-side expression. We changed to track ECMA-262 (IIRC Acid3 actually tested this and dinged us).

The code will throw an error cause bar will be 'setter' while foo.bar will be 'Hello setter'. I was expecting that `bar' would've get value returned by a setter (or at least getter of foo). And this is not the case nor with FF nor with Safari implementations. Behavior is the same if getters and setters are used instead.

I'm not sure what you mean -- do you mean Firefox and Safari ignore the setter's return value? That's what my testing with Firefox 3.6.x and Safari 4 show, on this HTML source:

<script>
var foo = {
    get bar() {
        return this._foo;
    },
    set bar(value) {
        return this._foo = 'Hello ' + value;
    }
};

var bar = foo.bar = 'setter';
alert('bar ' + bar + ', foo.bar ' + foo.bar);
</script>

Is it expected behavior ? If answer is yes, is there any point of returning anything from setter ?

No point now.

I am also afraid that this might break some of the frameworks in rare cases like in this example above. (a = b = c is commonly used syntax)

No browser does what we used to do, so any framework counting on setters filtering _______________________________________________