  1) Re: DIY Solder Pot
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Welding Aluminum
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: 100 mile trip
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: DIY Solder pot
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: DIY Solder pot
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: EV Calculator update
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  9) Re: Battery Exchange
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by "djsharpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Regenerating a series wound motor
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Scooter Wars
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Datsun Minitruck Mania!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) More Rod Wilde Stuff
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Datsun Minitruck Mania!
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
 17) RE: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Datsun Minitruck Mania!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) GVMR weights
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: Question: Max efficiency charging with 3 phase alternator
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: Current Capacity of 1/2" Copper Pipe
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Don Cameron wrote:

> Now I want to tin the ends of the cables I made,  my 74W soldering iron is
> too light, but the torch is too much and causes the ends to tarnish and
> oxidize.  I have read about DIY solder pots.
>
> My idea is to get a 4" diameter pipe 2" long, weld it to a 1/2" slab of
> steel and put it on a portable hotplate.  Then I can get bar solder (50/50?)
> from the plumbing shop. Will this work?
>
> Any tips on how to properly tin the ends?  Flux etc.

Danger! Many metals will *disolve* in molten solder! Don't just pick any
old steel and assume it will hold molten solder for a long time! You
don't want to even *think* about the disaster of spilling a pot of
molten metal!

Why not just buy a new/used solder pot? I bought one from Dexis
(www.dexis.com) for about $100.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering

Great - thanks Lee will do.

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

Date: Wednesday 23 February 2005 16:49
From: "Kristen Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jordan Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jordan,

I've been a bit swamped but haven't forgotten you. From the officers I've spoken to since we've started this dialogue, the manner in which you ride
your scooter sounds legal and correct - so unless I'm missing something here, we do owe you a very sincere apology. Trust me, there is no hidden
agenda here. I hope you can forgive the misinterpretation on our part.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused you. I still intend to include you in the ongoing dialogue with Roderick as we
continue to try to find ways to make this work.

Kristen

And the score is...

Crazed Biker Trash -one-

Overzealous Cops -zero-   :^D

Congratulations Roderick!

Next up for your entertainment...

The Crazed Biker Trash will be dating the Port Townsend Chief of Police. :^D

Whadda ya think Rod? Is she single?

.

Roy LeMeur [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.cloudelectric.com http://www.dcelectricsupply.com

Cloud Electric Vehicles
19428 66th Ave So, Q-101
Kent, Washington  98032

phone:  425-251-6380
fax:  425-251-6381
Toll Free:  800-648-7716

My Electric Vehicle Pages: http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evpage.html

Informative Electric Vehicle Links:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/renewables/evlinks.html

EV Parts/Gone Postal Photo Galleries:
http://www.casadelgato.com/RoyLemeur/page01.htm

jerry dycus wrote:

>      I like this idea using as Lee said an older,
> small truck frame from the 70's Datsun, Luv's, ect
> when some trucks really were small but still carried
> weight well , better in fact than todays so called
> compact trucks do.

Ah yes, I've written many times in the past about my fondness for the early
Datsun
minitrucks. The '66 Datsun 520 was the one that started what used to be
referred to as
'the minitruck revolution'. This was back when small Japanese pickups were
actually small,
but oh so tough! My '66 is rated at one ton hauling capacity! What was this
revolution? It
was all about young guys in their teens and very early twenties, buying and
falling in
love with these tough, playful, but at the same time, serious machines. They
soon
discovered the little trucks could haul massive amounts of weight and that they
were
durable enough for daily construction site or landscaping work. Off work,
washed up, waxed
up, lowered a tad, and fitted with bigger chrome rims or mags and Radial TA
white lettered
fat meats, and perhaps with a set of headers and an exhaust system, they turned
into flat
cornering 2nd gear tire squealing, fun rides...thus, the minitruck revolution.
Guys
thought of their minitrucks as their best friend.

It’s really too bad, that in the late seventies and on into the eighties, the
minitrucks
morphed into midsized, well....simply pickups. Today, the Tacomas, the Rangers,
the
Chevy S10s, and the Frontiers aren’t anything close to the minitrucks of
yesteryear. Oh,
they are very nice trucks, with more room, more power, more creature comfort,
etc. The
Tacoma now sports a 240 hp V6, and the Frontier has a staggering 265 hp from
its V6, but
as large as they’ve become, even with this much power, they totally lack that
kick in the
ass fun that only the small, light, and nimble minitrucks delivered. It just
might be time
to reintroduce the minitruck again. Dealers could then offer a compact and fun
minitruck
for first time, younger buyers, the midsize trucks, and the full size line.
Right now, in
my opinion, there’s a huge hole that needs to be filled. Imagine the same size
minitrucks,
only with modern four bangers that crank out 165-200 hp! Maybe there’s a place
for me in
marketing :-)

Lee Hart wrote:

> Well, I'm going by memory on my old Datsun -- I could be wrong. John
> Wayland still has one; John do you have any numbers?

Sure Lee, Happy to help! From my original, mint condition, factory brochure
that matches
my '66 Datsun L-520 minitruck:

The early Datsun minitrucks, model L-520, 66-67, weighed exactly 2216 lbs., and
could
pretty much haul their own weight. The brochure puts it in print....2000 lb.
payload!! And
right out of my '71 model year Datsun brochure...the '71 model PL-520 minitruck
weighed
exactly 2116 lbs. The PL-520 model replaced the shorter-nosed smaller engined
L-520 in
'68, and was made from '68 - '72. The first year is unique, in that the early
'68 had the
new bodywork, but between the longer fenders and under the longer hood, it
still had the
1300cc pushrod motor. The late '68 had the new OHC 1600cc engine, up from the
1300's 67
hp, to 96 hp. The late '68 also had the 4:38 axle instead of the L-520's super
low 4:88
axle. Other than the new fenders and new hood, from the windshield back, the
cab, doors,
and bed look identical between the L-520 and the PL-520. If you have a '66 or
'67 (the '67
has a different grill with quad 5 inch round headlights, where the '66 has dual
7 inch
rounds) truck, but need a door or a bed, these parts from the '68 - '72 trucks,
will bolt
right on...cool. A side note...those who want to see what the '67 looks like,
can check
out my old 'Baby Blue' now owned by friend John Tuss, at the EV Photo Album. The
redesigned ‘74-’78 Datsun PL-620 pickup, like Lee Hart’s model, began to grow
in weight.
The ‘73 had the same 1600cc engine as did the Pl-520s, but in ‘74 as new
pollution laws
took effect, like all the other manufacturers were doing, Datsun began to
increase engine
displacement in order to try to keep power from falling, thus the ‘74 got an
1800cc, then
the 75-78 had the new L20B 2000cc engine. Near the end, the PL-620 weighed just
shy of
2600 lbs. During the ‘73-78 run, as consumers got wimpier and they complained
more and
more about the unloaded miniturck’s rough ride, Datsun softened up the
suspension to where
the little pickups could only haul 1500 lbs. or so.

Here’s a couple of 'fun' direct quote performance benchmarks from the '66
brochure that
will make many laugh:

'Datsun's big new engine combines rugged power with economy' ....Big engine? It
had a tiny
1300cc engine and a whopping 67 hp  :-)

'New 250 watt alternator'...I love this one, 250 watts? That’s about 20 amps,
max! A 50
amp alternator is considered on the small side. Today's compact cars have 1400
watt
alternators at around 100-110 amps output.

The cool thing in the early seventies, was getting a Datsun minitruck, lowering
it,
slapping on big wheels and fat tires, then hopping up that marvelous Datsun OHC
1600cc
engine to the tune of 150-160 horses...wow, what a fun ride that was! Nissan
even started
to turn out brochures with pictures of tricked out minitrucks, calling them
sports car
with huge trunks.

While I'm on the subject, Purple Phaze is alive and well. Finally, after a 10
year
gestation period, my minitruck project is on full boil again. A few days ago, I
talked
with Jim Husted, the motor god who runs 'Hi Torque Electric', his DC motor
rebuilding shop
in Redmond, Oregon. We made firm plans about the minitruck drag racer project.
His
business neighbor in the same group of buildings, Dan, does aircraft composite
work, and
he's on board to help with this, too. Next weekend, we're hauling the Datsun on
a trailer
to Redmond, where Dan will begin to custom create a super light weight
composite bed to
replace the super heavy all steel bed. The new bed will look like the original,
minus the
goofy farm implement type welded steel rope hooks that adorn the perimeter of
the stock
bed, and it will be hundreds of lbs. lighter. In the same trip, White Zombie's
motors are
also being hauled to Jim's shop, where the shafts will be pressed out, and
custom new
splined shafts and other new parts will be made.

Because of the extreme body mods, Lexan windows, the drive motor reoriented in
the back
instead of under the hood, and with the use of race-only slicks and or wrinkle
walls,
Purple Phaze will be racing in the non-street legal MC/D class. With a 156V
pack of
Orbitals, Blue Meanie's 1200 amp Raptor, and a controller bypass, this will be
a high
current lower voltage type drag machine. The monster hotrodded 13" motor will
have
motorized variable brush timing and will be mounted in the belly of the truck
with a short
stubby driveshaft into a Ford nine inch rear end setup. Fat drag slicks will be
stuffed
under the generous rear fenders. I'm thinking that fed with 2500 amps during an
early
bypass, it might make 1000 lbs. of torque, so the rear end ratio won't be super
low, but
instead, something on the order of 3:90 or maybe a 4:11.

The current 'MC/D' class record is 18.2 seconds at close to 72 mph. I'm
expecting Purple
Phaze to run 14's pretty easily, at the low 90 mph area...sorry William :-)
The 'SC/D'
class record is safe since this truck won't be street legal, but at a quick
14.779 @ 87.58
mph out of Father Time's hot Z Car, even though it’s street legal (all the more
impressive), I've just gotta beat that time and speed! How could I hold my head
up, if my
race only MC class minitruck can’t beat his street legal machine? Speaking of
Father Time,
his insane narrowed bug might race in the same class...hmmm, looks like a fun
racing season.

Tim Brehm has agreed to be the driver if I'm taking White Zombie on the same
night of
racing, but I suppose Rudman's going to want to run it a few nights, too. I'm
really
looking forward to the effect in the pits, when I tilt up the light weight bed
to reveal
this huge electric motor to all the gasser dudes....what fun!

The truck, though heavier stock than a stock 1200 at 2216 lbs. vs 1587 lbs.,
will actually
be lighter than White Zombie as it is in its present configuration with its
288V, 960 lb.
battery pack. The truck’s engine was heavier than a 1200’s engine, as was the
transmission
and flywheel, and there will be about 400 lbs. shaved off with the new
composite bed. The
glider pickup minus about 350 lbs. of engine and tranny, and with its super
light bed,
Lexan side and rear windows, and other weight shedding tricks, should weigh
about 1400
lbs. Additionally, the truck’s 13 Orbitals will weigh 440 lbs. less than the
Zombie’s 960
lb. pack. Even considering the 285 lb. monster motor (trimmed down from its
original 390
lbs.), in race ready form, I expect Purple Phase to weigh less than 2300 lbs.
There wont
be as much raw hp developed as from the Zombie’s twin 8’s at high voltage, but
a HUGE
amount of torque, variable brush timing, and lots of rear wheel drive drag
slick-augmented
hole-shot traction will be on hand. Maybe it will even crack the 13’s.

See Ya.....John Wayland

Roy LeMeur wrote:

> Roderick Wilde wrote:
> >Myself and my friend Jordan have been having trouble with the local
> >authorities pulling over our electric board scooters
>
> And the score is...
>
> Crazed Biker Trash -one-
>
> Overzealous Cops -zero-   :^D\

Well, since Rod Wilde is the current topic, what better time to tell you about
the
surprise I had when servicing a very old Crown stand-up rider fork lift
yesterday. We're
talking about a dinosaur type lift truck, here. Anyway, I've got all the panels
removed
and am inspecting the twin drive motors, and as I'm saying to myself, "Wow,
these aren't
like any other brand DC motor I've seen in a Crown before...not Prestolite, not
GE, not
ADC, and not Crown...hmm." Then to my total entertainment, I find the
red-on-aluminum data
tag that reads 'Wilde Electric'. Though Crown's main factories have always been
in Ohio,
the rest of the data tag said Portland, Oregon. If Rod ever gets Maniac Mazda
back on the
track, he's just gotta find two of these motors, and put these data tags on his
red RX7's
twin DC motors!

See Ya......John Wayland

John Wayland wrote [snip]

Great stuff on the Datsun minitrucks, John. You are a fountain of wisdom
on all things Datsun!

One little detail that might help anyone contemplating converting one
into a long-range EV, though. Where do you think one would FIND one in
good enough condition to convert? Anywhere up here in the Rust Belt,
they are long, long gone!

I think it would be fascinating to see what one of them could do as a
smaller version of Red Beastie.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
        -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

HI Folks,

Looking for some ideas on how to Maximize efficiency when using a 3-phase
PM alternator to charge batteries.  30V nominal battery voltage.

Simplest way would probably be to use a 6-way bridge.  I know I'll loose
about 2% in the diodes, but how much will I loose do to power factor
issues?

Is it worth the extra cost to go with something like synchronous
rectification with power factor control?  Is this the "Best" option
efficiency wise?

The second option also has the advantage that I could buck/boost voltage
as neccessary, plus being able to control the charing current without
having to vary the RPM.

Thanks in advance.

I tested 2 types of straps (tinned and just crimped) as well as the
flattened copper pipe, I ran each test 3 times. Two batteries were wired in
series using the strap/bar to be tested, with a 80Amp load.  The current was
measured from a 500A shunt.  The voltage drop was measured at the posts
where the strap/bar was connected.

Braided, tinned strap: 80Amp load, 1.9mV drop = 0.000024 ohms
Braided, crimped strap: 80Amp load, 2.2mV drop (this strap is 0.25" longer
than the other strap and copper bar) = 0.000028 ohms
Copper Bar 80 Amp load, 1.8mV drop = 0.000023 ohms

I estimate absolute max amperage draw of my 312V system will be 300Amps.  I
will be using 6 of the straps in the packs (among other connectors).  So
these 6 straps will draw, at worst, P = I^2 x R = 300^2 x (6*0.000028) =
15.1 Watts

Sounds not too bad...

Victoria, BC, Canada

See the New Beetle EV Conversion Web Site at
www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/

> Since I cannot find any connectors commercially available (locally
> anyways) with 1/4" stud, I used Victor's suggestion of braided cable
> with crimped copper pipe on either end.  The braid goes through the
> entire pipe, so when they are bolted to the batteries this will ensure
> a good solid connection, but still allow flex.

Don, since you are making your own interconnects from unusual materials, and
haven't done any resistance calculations, you need to *measure* the actual
resistance of your interconnects. It doesn't matter how cheap they were, or
how easy to make, or how nice they look. What matters is their performance!

Connect a couple batteries in series with one. Connect a charger or load to
charge or discharge the two batteries in series at some known current.
Measure the voltage drop from battery post-to-post. Calculate the resistance
with Ohm's law; Ohms = Volts / Amps.

If you expect to draw 100s of amps, the resistance had better be less than
0.01 ohm. At 100 amps, a 0.01 ohm connection produces P = I^2 x R =
100^2 x 0.01 = 100 watts of heat! If you expect to hit 1000 amps, your
connection resistance had better be under 0.0001 ohms!

For reference, a "normal" inter-battery jumper made with 6" of #00 cable and
copper terminals crimped on each end, connected to automotive type battery
posts will have a resistance around 0.002 ohms.
--
Ring the bells that you can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
        -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
--
Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

I sure agree with you Lee, actually both of you are fountains....

And here I am in Tucson AZ, the boneyard for the AF, and lots o wrecking
yards...
just got to search them out.

Rush

> Great stuff on the Datsun minitrucks, John. You are a fountain of wisdom
> on all things Datsun!
>
> One little detail that might help anyone contemplating converting one
> into a long-range EV, though. Where do you think one would FIND one in
> good enough condition to convert? Anywhere up here in the Rust Belt,
> they are long, long gone!
>
> I think it would be fascinating to see what one of them could do as a
> smaller version of Red Beastie.
> --
> Ring the bells that you can ring
> Forget your perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in
> -- Leonard Cohen, from "Anthem"
> --
> Lee A. Hart  814 8th Ave N  Sartell MN 56377  leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Where can I find old GVWR and curb weights of trucks? are there any online
sites that anybody knows of or is it just hit all the goggle sites or get a
blue book?

Want to know the weight of a 86 toyota, 5 speed, reg truck now and will want to
know others later.

Found this for Chevy's http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3001/gvwr.html

Thanks
Rush

--- Begin Message --- At 07:10 PM 26/02/05 -0700, you wrote:
HI Folks,

Looking for some ideas on how to Maximize efficiency when using a 3-phase
PM alternator to charge batteries.  30V nominal battery voltage.

Simplest way would probably be to use a 6-way bridge.  I know I'll loose
about 2% in the diodes,

How many amps? at that voltage you can get schottky diodes up to several hundred amps, maybe more efficient than all that goes with syncronous rectification, and a heck of a lot easier.

James
>Don Cameron wrote:
> I tested 2 types of straps (tinned and just crimped) as well as the
> flattened copper pipe, I ran each test 3 times. Two batteries were wired in
> series using the strap/bar to be tested, with a 80Amp load.  The current was
> measured from a 500A shunt.  The voltage drop was measured at the posts
> where the strap/bar was connected.

Just for additional comparison, I wish I had a short length of 2/0 or
4/0 with the ends crimped on that I could send to you to run that same
test on to see how it fairs to the 3 types you tested.  I'd really
like to know the results.

Anyone have a spare interconnect you could send him if he would like
to do it for comparison reasons?

--- Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here is what I have come up with:
> http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/images/BatteryStraps.JPG
>
> Since I cannot find any connectors commercially available (locally anyways)
> with 1/4" stud, I used Victor's suggestion of braided cable with crimped
> copper pipe on either end.  The braid goes through the entire pipe, so when
> they are bolted to the batteries this will ensure a good solid connection,
> but still allow flex.

Will there be any corrosion issues using this method with NiCad batteries? Is
there an easy way to
coat/tin/protect the ends to prevent corrosion?

Also, do NiCads have issues with corroding the battery enclosure like lead
acids do from venting?

Thanks

Dave Cover